When valve cover gasket, which is under car hood, started oil dropping, there must be serious problems. Valve covers are the first component, which you see after opening a hood. Some drivers prefer dying covers and air cleaner in bright colors.
• What is valve cover gasket for?
• How and when it should be replaced?
• Specifics of valve cover gasket replacement
Valve cover has a simple task: it covers valve train and oil filler. To valve head it is fastened with few bolts or screws. Between these elements is obviously placed a valve cover gasket.
What is valve cover gasket for?
At first sight, valve cover gasket is a small detail, which does not affect any power features of a car or decrease engine’s efficiency. Every driver must watch its condition and replace it at the first signs of leakage.
The gasket is made of specific rubber structure, which retains its properties even under rapid temperature change and also non-reacting on oil. But in time the element loses its qualities and becomes hard, covers with microflows, through which leaks oil. But even the smallest leakage can cause engine fouling, which is hard to clean up. And, of course, this won’t add stability to engine’s work.
How and when it should be replaced?
If you use your car actively, you can’t avoid regular valve cover gasket replacement. Often it must be done in following situations:
- while performing running or major repair;
- while lubricant leakage in cover and head connection;
- while dismantling of valve train to perform repairs or maintenance.
When the gasket should be replaced? Some very priggish drivers approach to condition of their cars with responsibility and replace valve cover gasket with oil. But behind this paranoid, as it may seem, behavior hides a very sound calculation. These drivers fully protect their engine from leakage. Also, while replacing a gasket, you can check valve train units on wear out or damages.
How to replace a valve cover gasket? Before replacement of this components, prepare a sealer, which can endure high temperatures, new gasket and degreaser. Replacement of gasket is quite a simple process:
- remove body of air cleaner;
- unscrew bolts along the perimeter;
- remove all attachable equipment, if there is such;
- remove remains of sealer and finish with degreaser;
- grease new gasket with sealer from both sides and install it on the right place.
Specifics of valve cover gasket replacement
As was mentioned above, valve cover gasket replacement is not complicated. But those, who are going to do it first time, might face such problem as increased oil leakage from beneath new gasket. Often this situation occurs when:
- cover bolts are skewed because of irregular fastening;
- low quality sealer or its irregular application;
- low quality gasket.
These problems are easy to solve. Just purchase a high quality gasket instead and good sealer. Use a torque wrench to distribute force while tightening screws according to the car user manual. And there will be no complications during gasket replacement.